Border Union Agricultural Society
The Border Union Agricultural Society was formed at a public meeting in the Cross Keys Inn on 22nd January 1813 under the Chairmanship of the Duke of Roxburghe. The aims were to give Premiums for the best stock of different kinds, for discoveries in agriculture, either in regard to tillage or the management of grasslands and for the new and improved implements of husbandry. In 1866 the name changed to the Border Union Agricultural Society when a number of Societies joined together.
Since then the Society has grown in size and prominence, and though principally holds three annual core events, namely a Championship Dog Show, a two day Annual Agricultural Show and the world famous Closamectin Kelso Ram Sales, it hosts many other varied events throughout the year which have no agricultural connection. The Membership of over one thousand is both from rural and urban backgrounds and their interests are looked after by a full time office open all the year round.