|Kelso Scotland||home | civic week | tourist information | history | local|
|home / history|
The Village of Roxburgh
from the River Teviot
Outside the castle walls grew up the Town of Roxburgh, which was one of the most important towns in its time. In the twelfth century, there was a Royal Court of Justice, two churches, St James' and St Peter's, a Royal Mint, Corn Mills and a Grammar School which was under the care of the Abbot of the Abbey. Its local market is mentioned in 1165. As Kelso developed, Roxburgh began to wane in importance. Today, nothing visible remains of the town of Roxburgh. It lies under Friar's Haugh, the present site of the Point to Point Racecourse.
The modern Roxburgh Village lies on the River Teviot about four miles upstream of the old town and below the old railway viaduct.
|Kelso Scotland, Scottish Borders UK|